IVAN Todurov: "DIABETES is an insidious disease. A person can die ONLY after eating scoops of an ice cream"
Violetta Chirtoca, "FACTS"
Surgeons began to use in Kiev the method of the treatment of this disease, which was developed in Brazil a decade ago. Patients who agreed to the restructuring operation on the intestine, a few months later had no diabetes.
- If you knew how much I was afraid that insulin would be prescribed, - says the 64-year old Galina Alekseevna from Pervomaysk, Mykolaiv region. - Pills did not help to preserve sugar on the normal rate. And if the second type of diabetes is unable to be controlled with the help of pills then insulin injections have to be done. My disease was identified a decade ago. The blood sugar level was 15 units, while the rate should not exceed six. I consulted many doctors and followed all their recommendations, but it was becoming more difficult to control the disease every year.
About a year ago Galina fell into a hyperglycemic coma. Well, at that moment my daughter was nearby.
- I just ate one piece of ice cream - my companion shook her head. - Brings to mind the phrase "sugar is a white death". That is how insidious diabetes really is: nothing hurts, and you can die from even a small portion of the goodies. After I was brought back to life, doctors explained once again that there would be one day when I cannot live without insulin. Hearing it again, I began to look for professionals even more actively who would help to prevent this. One day my daughter was told that someone of her friends had the surgery on the intestines, after which the level of sugar fell to the normal range. On the Shalimov Institute website, we read about a new technique that allows you to normalize the blood sugar level, and immediately went to the consultation. Surgeon Ivan Todurov spoke in detail about possible complications and difficulties that sometimes arise, but I was ready for anything!
The operation was conducted in late February. On the eve of the intervention blood sugar level was 20 units! Six weeks after the treatment it went down to nine.
Now sugar rate is almost at normal level, - Galina says on the phone when I called her to find out about her health. - I do not even need to take the pills. It seems to be impossible, but I am a live example of the fact that the surgical technique is effective for treating diabetes.
- Systemically this technique started to be used ten years ago in Brazil, - explains the head of the department of surgery of the alimentary canal and intestinal transplantation of National Institute of Surgery and Transplantology named after Shalimov A Ivan Todurov. - Conducting surgery for obese people, surgeons noticed that the side effect was the normalization of blood sugar level. But almost all obese people have an issue as developing of diabetes type II. While losing weight after the restructuring of the gastrointestinal tract people get rid of serious illness. We systemized and analyzed the data and came to the conclusion that with the help of such an operation it is possible also to help those people who do not have excessive weight, but have a severe form of diabetes. However, these patients do not need to have part of the intestine to be cut, but only to have it reconstructed.
What exactly do you change?
- Each person has more than four meters of the small intestine, in the initial part of which 70 percent of carbohydrates are assimilated. During the operation, we leave 30 centimeters, and the rest is being transferred to another place. That is we do the transposition of intestine. Now carbohydrates are being destroyed until they reach the part where they should be actively absorbed. The body gets them only as much as is necessary for normal operation. Excess of them is disintegrated not getting into the blood.
Do you warn your patients that the operation is not that easy? Which difficulties can arise?
- After applying this technique complicated and laborious nursing is required. After all, we are dealing with that part of the intestine, which is involved in immune processes. And then we change it and reshape. The body may rebel even and exclusion can happen. But since we have extensive experience in conducting of such kind of operations for fat people, during two years we have made more than fifty interventions and now we know what kind of problems we can face, which indicators should be monitored particularly closely. Less than a year ago we began to conduct operations to those who suffer from diabetes, but who are not obese. And all of these patients had a good result. The blood sugar level within a few months comes back to normal and no longer increases after the intervention. We are in touch with the operated in order to track the long-term results.
- Are there any contraindications for this technique?
- If the patient has the disease, for example, for more than 15-20 years, it will not be possible to heal the person completely. However, the observations of our colleagues show that after the operation the sugar becomes manageable, the patient is unable to use insulin, and keep on with only tableted treatment. It is important to remember that the intervention does not always result into the desired effect. According to the world statistics, 80 percent of operated people permanently forget about diabetes, the remaining sugar level falls, but not to the normal parameters, so they must constantly take the medication. However, even in these cases, people say that their quality of life significantly is being improved coma threat is significantly reduced, complications move away, which means that surgeons achieve a positive result.
Photo by Sergey Tushino, "FACTS"